Sunday, October 1, 2017

The Longest Books I've Ever Read


Nominate Your Favorite Children's Books and YA Books for the Cybils!

It's time to nominate your favorite children's books and YA books for the Cybils Awards! Nominations open at 12:01 am on October 1, 2017 PST. Nominations will remain open to anyone who would like to nominate a great books published in the last year until October 15. Publishers and authors can then nominate books from October 16 to October 25. Nominate away here!

My Busy Week
I've been looney-tune crazy-busy this week, seeing my (normal!) 34 classes a week (the entire school!) for library lessons about fiction and nonfiction, as well as readying our team of 2017 Cybils Fiction Picture Book and Board Book panelists and judges for our upcoming huge task of reading and reviewing 200+ books nominated. 



I did manage to finally finish the latest Sue Grafton mystery (she's up to Y is for Yesterday...leaving only Z, I suppose) and the very, very quirky new book, Sourdough, by the author of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. 





I got a lot of wonderful books in my mailbox this week:


 Windows by Julia Denos
Night Creepers by Linda Stanek
Living Things and Nonliving Things: A Compare and Contrast Book by Kevin Kurtz
Animal Tails by Mary Holland
Cao Chong Weighs an Elephant by Songju Ma Daemicke
Children of Refuge by Margaret Peterson Haddix


The Longest Books I've Ever Read


Thank you, Helen from Helen's Book Blog, for tagging me to complete The Longest Book Tag! This tag was created by Ditsha @ Betwitchingly Paranoid.


The Rules: 
1. Make a list of five of the longest books you’ve read. 
2. Select two of the longest books on your TBR. 
3. Discuss. 
4. Tag others. 

Five of the longest books I've read...

Goodreads will sort your books by number of pages, it turns out. That's nice. I've read 137 books that have 500 pages or more. Here are the five longest books I've read:








Lord of the Rings (trilogy)...1,216 pages
The Stand...1,153 pages
Hawaii by James Michener...1,136 pages
Gone With the Wind...1,037 pages
The Pillars of the Earth...973 pages 

The longest books in my TBR pile are...





Any Human Heart by William Boyd...480 pages
The Eight by Katherine Neville...598 pages
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara...720 pages

Tag You're It


If you are reading this post, and you'd like to be tagged, then consider yourself tagged.




So that's my week. What was your week like? What are you reading now?


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

35 comments:

  1. READ
    The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle 1,796 pages
    Les Miserables by Victor Hugo 1,463 pages
    The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny 1,264 pages
    A Pattern Language by Christoper W Alexander 1,216 pages
    Art Through the Ages 2 by Helen Gardener 1,200 pages

    TBR
    28 Science Fiction Stories of H. G. Wells by H.G. Wells 1932 pages
    Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke 846 pages
    Winter by Marissa Meyer 827 pages
    The Complete Sherlock Holmes Volume 2 by Arthur Conan Doyle 704 pages
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova 704 pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just finished the Hidden Legacy Series by Ilona Andrews and don't know what to read next, lol. I want more of the world I just finished... I have a series hangover. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Can one get too immersed in a book world?

      Delete
    2. Try the Clean Sweep books. Same author,different city.

      Delete
  3. That's so cool you got to this tag as well :) I brought it back from the dead :D I hope you enjoyed it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The longest book I've ever read (I actually listened to) is Outlander. I admit, I have a tendency to shy away from audiobooks that longer than 20 hours. I know I'm probably missing out on some great books, but... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what my longest audiobook would be. I know I have never listened to a single book for 20 hours.

      Delete
    2. I've wondered if I dare do the audiobook of the Outlander. But it sounds like you liked it.

      Delete
  5. Gone with the Wind made my list of long books read in the past...in fact, I've been planning to re-read it and have a copy of the book sitting on one of my nightstands. Still sitting there.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your two long books are on my list. Hope they were good. The longest book I remember reading was IQ84 by Murakami, which was very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a long book I remember reading, too. It was very good.

      Delete
  7. Those are some great long books you've read and Little Life is a really good one too! I am so excited that I get to be a round 2 judge for the Cybils this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read that book but I feel like I should read The Eight first. It has been on my TBR for many years.

      Delete
  8. I did the Longest Book tag in August. Here it the LINK
    I realized that I don't select long books often these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh boy! I don't know if I could read a 1,000 page book! It has to be really good for me to fully get into it!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, 34 classes! Don't tire yourself out too much :D

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun tag! I've read a lot of long books in my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love long books, but lately they've not been working for me as much. Still A Little Life is wonderful and recently The Heart's Invisible Furies at almost 600 pages was also great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read Gone With Wind many years ago when I was in college. I had the joy of reading it during the summer when my academic load was lighter. I had never seen the film and I loved this book. It made me want to figure out how to make a mint julep! When I finished the book, I went to a video store and rented the movie. And like most books turned to films, I didn’t like it nearly as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seeing 34 classes a week is not one of the things I miss now that I've retired. I didn't realize that Gone With the Wind was so long. I read it years ago. I read it after I saw the movie. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, what a busy but productive week you had. It's wonderful you've been able to read. I wouldn't have had time to read and blog if I were you. 😁
    I hope you enjoy your new books and have a wonderful week. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are all chunksters. Enjoy all your reads.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Something about the cover of Windows just makes me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a marvelous post!!

    I love it all...thanks.

    ENJOY your week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  19. I cannot wait to read Children of Refuge! I love Haddix's work!

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. How about The Barkskins you gave me. I just started it this week and can't put it down. Proulx is an amazing writer. I know you don't read Stephen King, but I just finished one with 700 words plus by him. I LIKE big books. I like skinny books too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why that didn't come up at Goodreads for me. Barkskins is definitely a big book!

      Delete
  21. I didn't know I could sort by number of pages in Goodreads - thank you! So out of the books I have actually added to Goodreads, my longest books already read are:

    1. The Count of Monte Cristo 1276pp
    2. The Lord of the Rings 1216pp
    3. The Complete Sherlock Holmes 1136pp
    4. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell 1006pp
    5. 1Q84 925pp

    (Interesting that a few of those titles overlap with yours but have different pagination - must be different editions!)

    I am actually currently reading two long books - Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (608 pp) and A Little Life by Hanna Yanagihara (720 pp). Both are great but taking me a long time - longer even than I expected from their relative length - because they have such tough subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to do this tag as well! Gone with the Wind will also be in it! I wish I could read Lord of The Rings but I can't read High Fantasy :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love libraries too! great pics!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.