Sunday, October 15, 2017

Scary Library Substitute Teachers and More

Here's my week...


Scary Library Substitute Teachers


My library assistant and I took off this week and left the library in the scary hands of these two ladies.  We don't know exactly what went on, but we heard reports that these two were pretty strict and didn't put up with any nonsense in the library. 


Italy in 2018
We are starting to make plans for our trip to Italy next summer with my wonderful husband, sister, and brother-in-law! We will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. Any must-sees? Any books I should read before we go?


Cybils Nominations Close on October 15

Sunday, October 15th is the last day the Cybils will be accepting nominations from the general public. Anyone can nominate children's or young adult books published in the last twelve months. If you need ideas, take a look at Tiffa's post at The Picture Book Review. Nominate here.


What I Read This Week

I finished up three personal reads:



Then I started digging into that huge stack of Cybils this week:





I don't know how I'm ever going to settle on 5-7 winners if the other 200 nominees are as good as these first eleven. Here are my reviews:


I got in a huge stack of new books this week, but I think I'll post those pictures next week. I need to get busy reading some more of my Cybils today, I think....



What was your week like? What are you reading now?


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

19 comments:

  1. They certainly look scary - I'm surprised the library got any prospective readers at all...:) As regards your Italian trip - how fabulous! Are you planning to go to Venice at all? I recommend it - I know it is heaving with visitors but it is SUCH a magical place... My Sunday Post - https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2017/10/15/sunday-post-15th-october-2017/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was talk, some say, of sending recalcitrant children to the dungeon.

      Delete
    2. Did they send to the principal instead? :)

      Delete
    3. The children were so scared of their substitutes in the library that no one misbehaved.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on 40 years together! And the trip sounds wonderful. I've never been to Europe, but all of my kids seem to be world travelers...LOL.

    Those costumes look great, and as depressing as it sounds, I'm intrigued by Nomadland.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trip to Italy sounds wonderful..so many sites to see. It is good you are planning ahead. Aww, your poor library kids, bet they will be glad to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shades of Viola Swamp for sure! I am wildly excited because for the first time in 20 years of teaching, my school has decided to allow costumes on Halloween. I'm thinking Professor McGonnegall, but if you have any other brilliant literary character suggestions, please let me know. I'm, um, a bit ROUNDER than Minerva after all.

    I can't imagine signing up to be a first round judge--so much reading! But the anticipation of finding out which books will make it to round 2 is pretty painful. Those picture books sure look fun! And your personal read all look really interesting too. I always end up stuffing my TBR when I visit your blog.

    Finally--40 years. Italy. Wow. I've never been, but I hear the gelato and lattes are pretty awesome. Oh, and something about historic buildings too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. 40 years? WOW congrats, Deb! That's quite a feat. And I'm sure you'll have fun in Italy. So much good food - and wine ;)
    Have a wonderful week ahead and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's a lot of great books you've read! And happy anniversary to you and your husband!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 200 books?! How will you ever get them all read? I know they are younger kids' books, but still! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of scary subs. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Italy!! How exciting and what a great way to celebrate your anniversary (40 years! Congrats!). I've never been, so I look forward to a full report after your return. I may be able to convince my hubby to go someday, although we are having a lot of fun exploring this country. (He really, really hates to fly...).

    ReplyDelete
  10. The substitutes scared ME!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.